When Leaders Lose Their Way | Visual Resources for Both Lectionaries on November 5, 2023
Visual Resources for the Lectionaries
This post offers visual resources for the Revised Common Lectionary and the Narrative Lectionary for November 5, 2023. The RCL begins the story of Joshua with the crossing of the Jordan River. The second reading is Micah 3. The third reading marks the third week in 1 Thessalonians. The Gospel is Matthew 23:1-12 where Jesus speaks boldly to the crowd against the hypocrisy and failure of the religious leaders in Jerusalem. The NL explores the story of Elijah and his confrontation with the corrupt leaders of Israel and the prophets of Baal. The Gospel reading is Mark 9:2-4, the Transfiguration. I titled this post “When Leaders Lose Their Way” because both lectionaries have strong prophets speaking truth to corrupt power.
Learn how to download everything for FREE here.
Revised Common Lectionary
Here are quick links to all the texts for this week:
Joshua 3:7-17 and Psalm 107:1-7, 33-37
Micah 3:5-12 and Psalm 43
1 Thessalonians 2:9-13
1 Thessalonians 2:9-13
Feel free to use any or all of these slides and images in your own preaching and teaching.
The NL jumps from the division of the Kingdom last week to the story of Elijah’s confrontation with the prophets of Baal in Israel in 1 Kings 18:17-39 this week. This is a difficult passage because of the violence Elijah calls down from God. The last time I preached this passage I did a visual guide to try to wrestle with this text and read it in light of what happens in chapter 19. The bottom line is that the leaders of Israel were corrupt and things weren’t good for anyone.
How Do We Deal With the Violence in 1 Kings 18?
Download Everything for FREE!
Members of the Network will receive the following benefits:
- A weekly livestream Bible Study where Steve will walk through the PowerPoint, Image Pack and any commentary associated with the highlighted text for the week from the Revised Common Lectionary AND the Narrative Lectionary. These videos will be archived and available to members on the network.
- A Universal Discount Code. Members will get to download EVERYTHING for free, always! (this benefit alone makes $4.99/month worth it)
- Access to directly chat with Steve. You might have questions about specific products or Bible passages. Members can direct chat Steve through the network. These communications will get priority.
- Community. This is a social network. Members will be able to chat with each other, form groups, and discuss the Bible, preaching, teaching, art, theology and spiritual formation.
The Year of Mark Begins. Plan your studies now.
Preview the PowerPoint
All this for only $25.00
(or whatever more you may want to contribute)
A Cartoonist’s Guide to the Gospel of Mark is a full-color graphic novel style telling of Jesus’ life according to Mark. Use these images to enhance your preaching and teaching by engaging your audience in a fresh way.
This download includes:
- A PowerPoint with 315 slides
- A Folder with 315 .jpg images to use in any presentation software.
- A PDF of A Cartoonist’s Guide to the Gospel of Mark Graphic Novel. (buy print version HERE).
Get Weekly Resources Delivered Directly to You!
If you would like to wake up every Monday morning to the visual resources for the RCL and the Narrative lectionary waiting for you in your inbox, then fill out the form below. This email list will be used for only two reasons:
- to deliver weekly visual resources, and
- the occasional announcement of a new resource from A Cartoonist’s Guide to the Bible.