Servants of the Vineyard | Visual Resources for Both Lectionaries on November 19, 2023
Visual Resources for the Lectionaries
This post offers visual resources for the Revised Common Lectionary and the Narrative Lectionary for November 19, 2023. The RCL jumps to Judges and the story of Deborah for the first reading. The second reading is Zephaniah 1. The third reading marks the fifth week in 1 Thessalonians. The Gospel is Matthew 25:14-30. This is the parable of the talents that is part of the Eschatological Discourse. The NL jumps to the words of Isaiah 5 and 11 where Israel is compared to a vineyard that must be severely pruned. The Gospel reading is Mark 12:1-3 where Jesus tells the parable of the wicked tenants. I titled this Servants of the Vineyard because both lectionaries are dealing with the reckoning that must come when leaders misuse the gifts God has given them.
Learn how to download everything for FREE here.
Revised Common Lectionary
Here are quick links to all the texts for this week:
Judges 4:1-7 and Psalm 123
Zephaniah 1:7, 12-18 and Psalm 90:1-8, (9-11), 12
1 Thessalonians 5:1-11
1 Thessalonians 5:1-11
The RCL Gospel Reading is Matthew 25:14-30. The parable of the talents.
I want to apply two of my favorite words to this passage:
What if the master doesn’t represent God, but he represents the Roman Empire.
Don’t get me wrong. The Bible definitely teaches that the Holy Spirit gives us gifts that we are to use to build up the body of Christ. There are many places that teach that. I just don’t think this is one of them.
Let me show you why I think this might be true. read more…
Feel free to use any or all of these slides and images in your own preaching and teaching.
The NL takes us to the prophet Isaiah this week. Isaiah uses the metaphor of a vineyard to describe the Kingdom of Judah and explain why it will be destroyed by the Babylonians. The bad news comes in Isaiah 5:1-17. The Good News comes in Isaiah 11:1-5.
Download Everything for FREE!
Members of the Network will receive the following benefits:
- A weekly livestream Bible Study where Steve will walk through the PowerPoint, Image Pack and any commentary associated with the highlighted text for the week from the Revised Common Lectionary AND the Narrative Lectionary. These videos will be archived and available to members on the network.
- A Universal Discount Code. Members will get to download EVERYTHING for free, always! (this benefit alone makes $4.99/month worth it)
- Access to directly chat with Steve. You might have questions about specific products or Bible passages. Members can direct chat Steve through the network. These communications will get priority.
- Community. This is a social network. Members will be able to chat with each other, form groups, and discuss the Bible, preaching, teaching, art, theology and spiritual formation.
The Year of Mark Begins. Plan your studies now.
Preview the PowerPoint
All this for only $25.00
(or whatever more you may want to contribute)
A Cartoonist’s Guide to the Gospel of Mark is a full-color graphic novel style telling of Jesus’ life according to Mark. Use these images to enhance your preaching and teaching by engaging your audience in a fresh way.
This download includes:
- A PowerPoint with 315 slides
- A Folder with 315 .jpg images to use in any presentation software.
- A PDF of A Cartoonist’s Guide to the Gospel of Mark Graphic Novel. (buy print version HERE).
Get Weekly Resources Delivered Directly to You!
If you would like to wake up every Monday morning to the visual resources for the RCL and the Narrative lectionary waiting for you in your inbox, then fill out the form below. This email list will be used for only two reasons:
- to deliver weekly visual resources, and
- the occasional announcement of a new resource from A Cartoonist’s Guide to the Bible.