God and Kings | Visual Resources for Both Lectionaries on October 22, 2023
Visual Resources for the Lectionaries
This post offers visual resources for the Revised Common Lectionary and the Narrative Lectionary for October 22, 2023. The RCL continues with Exodus where Moses encounters the presence of God. It also takes us to Isaiah 45 and 1 Thessalonians. The Gospel is Matthew 22:15-22 where Jesus is asked about paying taxes to Caesar. The NL explores the story when David unified the tribes into one kingdom in 2 Samuel. The Gospel reading in Mark 11:8-10, the Triumphal Entry. I see a unifying theme in these texts that explores God’s expectations for a king or a political authority.
Learn how to download everything for FREE here.
Revised Common Lectionary
Here are quick links to all the texts for this week:
Isaiah 45:1-7 and Psalm 96:1-9, (10-13)
1 Thessalonians 1:1-10
I’m coming back to this old illustration (from the Hart Haus days in 2003) because the story records Moses’ conversation with God. They are talking like friends in this story. God really wants to wipe out the whiners at the bottom of the mountain and Moses convinces God to think about God’s reputation. Moses gets to know the name of God. That is a sign of intimacy.
The two images below will help you place Isaiah 45 and Cyrus, the king of Persia, in context.
1 Thessalonians 1:1-10
Feel free to use any or all of these slides and images in your own preaching and teaching.
The NL takes us to 2 Samuel 5:1-5 this week. David unifies the tribes of Israel into one kingdom. This is something King Saul could never do. I have a lot of images that will help you cover what happened since Ruth last week. It is the story of 1 Samuel.
Download Everything for FREE!
Members of the Network will receive the following benefits:
- A weekly livestream Bible Study where Steve will walk through the PowerPoint, Image Pack and any commentary associated with the highlighted text for the week from the Revised Common Lectionary AND the Narrative Lectionary. These videos will be archived and available to members on the network.
- A Universal Discount Code. Members will get to download EVERYTHING for free, always! (this benefit alone makes $4.99/month worth it)
- Access to directly chat with Steve. You might have questions about specific products or Bible passages. Members can direct chat Steve through the network. These communications will get priority.
- Community. This is a social network. Members will be able to chat with each other, form groups, and discuss the Bible, preaching, teaching, art, theology and spiritual formation.
The Year of Mark Begins. Plan your studies now.
Preview the PowerPoint
All this for only $25.00
(or whatever more you may want to contribute)
A Cartoonist’s Guide to the Gospel of Mark is a full-color graphic novel style telling of Jesus’ life according to Mark. Use these images to enhance your preaching and teaching by engaging your audience in a fresh way.
This download includes:
- A PowerPoint with 315 slides
- A Folder with 315 .jpg images to use in any presentation software.
- A PDF of A Cartoonist’s Guide to the Gospel of Mark Graphic Novel. (buy print version HERE).
Get Weekly Resources Delivered Directly to You!
If you would like to wake up every Monday morning to the visual resources for the RCL and the Narrative lectionary waiting for you in your inbox, then fill out the form below. This email list will be used for only two reasons:
- to deliver weekly visual resources, and
- the occasional announcement of a new resource from A Cartoonist’s Guide to the Bible.