A Divided Kingdom | Visual Resources for Both Lectionaries on October 29, 2023
Visual Resources for the Lectionaries
This post offers visual resources for the Revised Common Lectionary and the Narrative Lectionary for October 29, 2023. The RCL jumps to the end of Deuteronomy and the death of Moses. The second reading is Leviticus 19 where Jesus gets his “and the second is like it.” The third reading marks the second week in 1 Thessalonians. The Gospel is Matthew 22:34-46 where Jesus is asked about the greatest commandment. The NL explores the story Rehoboam and Jeroboam in 1 Kings. The Gospel reading in Mark 10:42-45, the Transfiguration. I titled this post “A Divided Kingdom” primarily because of the NL reading. However, Jesus’ naming of the greatest commandments, centered on Love, is what divides loyalties.
Learn how to download everything for FREE here.
Revised Common Lectionary
Here are quick links to all the texts for this week:
Deuteronomy 34:1-12 and Psalm 90:1-6, 13-17
Leviticus 19:1-2, 15-18 and Psalm 1
1 Thessalonians 2:1-8
1 Thessalonians 2:1-8
Feel free to use any or all of these slides and images in your own preaching and teaching.
The NL jumps from David’s unification of the Kingdom last week to his grandson Rehoboam’s division of the kingdom this week in 1 Kings 12:1-17. It will be important to tell the story of how Solomon built the wealth and power of the kingdom, along with the Temple, through the over-taxation and servitude of the people and breaking all the laws regarding a king in the Laws of Moses. Rehoboam doubles down on tyranny and the kingdom is irreparably divided.
Download Everything for FREE!
Members of the Network will receive the following benefits:
- A weekly livestream Bible Study where Steve will walk through the PowerPoint, Image Pack and any commentary associated with the highlighted text for the week from the Revised Common Lectionary AND the Narrative Lectionary. These videos will be archived and available to members on the network.
- A Universal Discount Code. Members will get to download EVERYTHING for free, always! (this benefit alone makes $4.99/month worth it)
- Access to directly chat with Steve. You might have questions about specific products or Bible passages. Members can direct chat Steve through the network. These communications will get priority.
- Community. This is a social network. Members will be able to chat with each other, form groups, and discuss the Bible, preaching, teaching, art, theology and spiritual formation.
The Year of Mark Begins. Plan your studies now.
Preview the PowerPoint
All this for only $25.00
(or whatever more you may want to contribute)
A Cartoonist’s Guide to the Gospel of Mark is a full-color graphic novel style telling of Jesus’ life according to Mark. Use these images to enhance your preaching and teaching by engaging your audience in a fresh way.
This download includes:
- A PowerPoint with 315 slides
- A Folder with 315 .jpg images to use in any presentation software.
- A PDF of A Cartoonist’s Guide to the Gospel of Mark Graphic Novel. (buy print version HERE).
Get Weekly Resources Delivered Directly to You!
If you would like to wake up every Monday morning to the visual resources for the RCL and the Narrative lectionary waiting for you in your inbox, then fill out the form below. This email list will be used for only two reasons:
- to deliver weekly visual resources, and
- the occasional announcement of a new resource from A Cartoonist’s Guide to the Bible.